You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The NYC Sharks have shown glimpses of what they are capable of with a 32-22 victory over the Knights.

The Sharks probably still committed too many errors to please their coach John Morris, however they did enough to overcome a determined Newcastle side and register their third win of the 2017 season.

Played at a sunny Saturday morning the NYC clash was played at quick pace on a dry and fast Southern Cross Group Stadium surface.

With the teams throwing the ball around it was the visitors who would trouble the scorers first, with Knights fullback Matt Cooper slicing through a wide gap on the Sharks left side to score wide out.

The conversion was unsuccessful and the Knights led 4-0.

Just six minutes later the Sharks would respond, winger Sione Katoa going in over after a slick backline move.

Kyle Flanagan kicked the goal from the touch-line and the Sharks took a 6-4 lead.

The Sharks continued to pressure the Knights line with a series of penalties and it would be Katoa who would once again cross the white stripe.

The try came what was almost a carbon copy of his first, fullback Will Kennedy chiming in, tipping onto centre Bessie Aufaga-Toomaga, with Katoa on the end of the passing movement.

Flanagan was again on target from the sideline and the lead went out to 12-4.

After sustained pressure the Knights would then work their way back into the match hooker Tom Starling finding some weak Sharks ruck defence before breaking the line and passing to

Cooper would streak away for his second of the afternoon.

The conversion was successful and the Knights were behind by 2.

Not to be outdone the Sharks would again exploit their advantage down the right hand side and go in before the break, Aufuga-Toomaga barged over from close range.

Flaangan was unsuccessful and the Sharks would take a 12-10 lead to the break.

The Sharks piled the pressure on the Knights in the early moments of the second period, big front rower Eddie Faalua breaking through the line and brushing aside a handful of defenders on a determined 20-metre charge.

The kick at goal was wide but the Sharks led 20-10.

Britton Nikora would barge over for the Sharks next scre to extend their lead to 24-10 and despite plenty of time left on the clock the Sharks looked home. 

The Knights had other ideas however and when a Sharks error gifted them field position it would be prop Cameron King to crash over.

Jack Johns added the extras and it was still a contest at 24-6 Sharks.

The home team would however give themselves some breathing room when Nikora scored a second and when the Flanagan conversion sailed over it was 30-16 with time ticking.

The Knights would make it interesting with a try inside the final ten minutes in making Sharks coach John Morris somewhat nervous, however the Cronulla side would hold on, a Flanagan penalty as the full time siren was sounding, rounding out the scoring.

The Sharks move to six competition points with the win and maintain their place inside the top eight on the NYC table.

Sione Katoa 2, Briton Nikora 2, Bessie Aufaga-Toomaga, Eddie Faulua tries, Kyle Flanagan 4 goals

Acknowledgement of Country

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.