You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Sharks shot down by slick Roosters

The story was told in the opening minutes after half time and with a freakish play in the final seconds before the break, with the Sydney Roosters showing why they are rated an outstanding chance of defending their title with a 30-16 defeat of the Sharks. 

The Roosters scored 24 of their 30 points with the last play of the first half and the first eight minutes of the second, with the Sharks showing some grit to score16 but giving away far too much start to give themselves any chance of reeling in their opponents. 

As has been the case during the first five rounds the Sharks were their own worst enemies, far too many errors in possession gifting the Roosters the ball and field position and with only five days until they take on the Panthers next Thursday night will be doing all they can to quickly turn their fortunes around. 

The first Roosters try was a long range effort, Cronk scoring on the end of a Luke Keary line break and with the conversion from Latrell Mitchell is was 6-0 Roosters midway through the first half. 

The Sharks had their chances to respond, Briton Nikora slicing through before the last pass to Bronson Xerri went to ground and just when the teams looked like going to half time with the score unchanged, some magic play from Luke Keary turned the game on its head. 

Sensing an opportunity the Roosters number six kicked on the first play of the set and the last tackle of the half for Mitchell to race away in a 70-metre run to the line. 

Mitchell converted his own four-pointer and it was 12-0 at the break. 

The try on the stroke of half time seemed to lift the Roosters who in the first 10 minutes of the second period scored three more tries, the first to Tedesco, the next by captain Boyd Cordner, before another through some spectacular finishing from winger Matt Ikuvalu. 

Mitchell was perfect with the boot and what was a 6-0 arm wrestle, in the space of 11-minutes before and after half time had turned into a game winning 30-0 Roosters lead.  

The Rooster had a try disallowed when Angus Crighton failed to ground the ball at the southern end, before some enterprising play from the Sharks, Kurt Capewell throwing the last pass for Josh Morris, seeing the Sharks post their first points. 

Deputising for Shaun Johnson, Chad Townsend was wide with the kick at goal and it was 30-4 with 18 minutes remaining. 

Just two minutes later the Sharks were in again and once more Capewell and Morris had a hand in the play, the rangy back rower dashing down the western touchline, finding his centre partner in support, with Johnson on the end of the play to score under the posts. 

This time Townsend made no mistake and it was 30-10 Roosters.  

Now chancing their arm and stretching the Roosters defence, the Sharks attack at times looked dangerous but the damage had been done. 

With a minute to go Jack Williams scored his first try of the season and his second in the NRL, Townsend adding the extras in making the final scoreline 30-16 to the visitors. 

Andrew Fifita limped from the field late with a hamstring complaint and will be monitored during the week, however the Sharks reported no other injury concerns. 


Jack Williams, Shaun Johnson, Josh Morris tries, Chad Townsend 2 goals
lost to

Acknowledgement of Country

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.