You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup Round 14 action kicks off on Friday 7 June at WIN Stadium at 5:40pm when the St George Illawarra Dragons take on the Parramatta Eels, live on NSWRL TV. 

The round continues on Saturday with a double header with the Western Suburbs Magpies v Canberra Raiders from 2pm followed by the Newtown Jets v Sydney Roosters from 3pm - streamed live on NSWRL TV. 

Sunday will see the Penrith Panthers host the North Sydney Bears from 1:40pm - streamed live on NSWRL TV with the Newcastle Knights taking on the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at 2:30pm 

The Canterbury Bansktown Bulldogs and South Sydney Rabbitohs will close out the round on Monday at 1:40pm - streamed live on Fox League. 


Bulldogs v Rabbitohs 

Knights v Blacktown Workers

Panthers v Bears 

Jets v Roosters

Magpies v Raiders

Dragons v Eels 


St George Illawarra Dragons v Parramatta Eels 

Late try seals it for the Eels 

Bailey Whitton

Game Summary 

The Parramatta Eels are back in the winner’s circle after defeating the St George Illawarra Dragons 18-14 at WIN Stadium tonight.

The intense back and forth battle set the tone early, with the Dragons almost managing to force the Eels in goal on the first tackle. The Dragons continued to mount the physical pressure in the following sets, winning the field position. 

 The Eels desperation continued, eventually breaking the Dragons dominance over the game with a line break through an offload to winger Lorenzo Mulitalo, passing back inside to beat the fullback and let Ethan Sanders score the only try of the first half just four minutes in.

 The two teams kept trying to overpower each other, and both kept muscling up defensively, refusing to break. The Eels halves held up passes coming back inside, earning momentum through partial line breaks, while the Dragons kept in simple powering up the field, with Sione Finaue, Joshua Coric and Dan Russel taking notable runs.

 The second half was a much more open affair, with the exhaustion of the first half introducing many more errors and opportunities into the game. 

 The Dragons were the first to receive an opportunity after a Parramatta knock on while trying to take a bomb close to the try line. The Dragons quickly shifted out right with the opportunity, going through halfback Jonah Glover to Savelio Tamale to Mikaele Ravalawa to get their first try in the corner, but missed the conversion leaving them trailing 6-4.

 In the 50th minute the Eels broke through, putting a grubber behind Ravalawa and scoring a try through a centre Morgan Harper grounding, extending their lead to eight.

 The Dragons rushed to take the momentum back, with Glover passing along to Lyhkan King-Togia, holding the pass up and offloading around the defenders back to get back rower Dan Russel a try and put them back within two.

 The Dragons scored shortly after through another massive run from winger Christian Tuipulotu, getting dragged down just short of the line, but powering through despite it to score, taking the lead for the Dragons for the first time 14-12.

 The Eels did not give up however and they got their chance in the 77th minute with Ravalawa failing to catch a bomb to the in goal, allowing back rower Matt Doorey to run through and score, ending the game 18-14 to the Eels with Ravalawa being sent off for dissent in the process.

Talking Points

  • Both the Eels halves impressed with their control and ability to open the game. They provided much of the direction and ability for the side.
  • Savelio Tamale had several standout moments at fullback, the most important of which being his 50m run beating many of the Eels defenders. He looked likely to break the game open at any point.
  • After finding himself in reserve grade for the second week, Ravalawa got sent off for dissent, possibly finding himself falling further down the pecking order of wingers within the Dragons.

Key Moment

The opening tackle of the match being so intense and almost trapping the Eels in goal on tackle 1 set the stage for the hard-hitting affair from the get-go and both teams responded harder, looking to 1-up the others and overpower them.

What’s Next?

The Eels look to make it back-to-back wins against the Roosters next week at home, while the Dragons face off against the Sea Eagles.


Western Suburbs Magpies v Canberra Raiders

Raiders survive Magpies scare to remain atop ladder

Sam Kosack

Game Summary

Ladder leaders, the Canberra Raiders, have survived an almighty scare from the last-placed Western Suburbs Magpies, scoring 22 unanswered points to walk away 22-20 winners at Lidcombe Oval in Round 14.

Having won only twice this season, the Magpies started incredibly strong rushing out to a 20-0 lead. Their young guns stood up to the challenge of the current NSW Cup leaders for 70 minutes, until Albert Hopoate and Adam Cook guided a Canberra comeback to ensure the Raiders extend their time atop the ladder.

The Magpies scored first at eight minutes in, when winger Solomone Saukuru outran a lethargic Raiders defence to dive on a grubber centimetres away from going dead, giving the home side a 4-0 lead.

The Magpies’ hot start continued 10 minutes later after an effortless tap-on pass from centre Solomona Faataape put Luke Laulilii into space. The winger coasted over for the Magpies’ second try, before a barnstorming run from Tim Johannssen saw the lock crash through three Raiders defenders to put the underdogs 14 points ahead after 25 minutes.

Lachlan Broederlow, Magpies second-rower, produced one of the tackles of the season to bag their fourth try of the half. Broederlow struck right under the rib cage of Raiders centre Prinston Esera to dislodge the ball, allowing Faataape to pounce and run 45 metres to score untouched.

Western Suburbs’ almost-perfect first 40 minutes was spoiled with less than two remaining in the half when Canberra fullback Albert Hopoate muscled his way over following a penalty for a high tackle right on the Western Suburbs line. An easy conversion for Adam Cook kept the visitors in the game with a 20-6 halftime score-line.

The first 20 minutes of the second half saw possession seesaw with neither side scoring points, despite Canberra duo Trey Mooney and Hopoate being stopped centimetres short. It wasn’t until Raiders prop Jordan Martin muscled over, reducing the deficit to eight, that Canberra’s dream of a comeback began to materialise.

Momentum had swung the way of the Raiders by the time second-rower Noah Martin dived over in the corner with 15 minutes to go. The play began earlier down the field when Mooney popped an offload to five-eighth Manaia Waitere, who ran 50 metres before being tackled. Canberra worked the ball to the opposite end of the field before Martin finished to make it a four-point game.

It would only take one set for Canberra to claim the lead for the first time in the match, with a perfect Adam Cook cut-out pass finding winger Jed Stuart who crossed untouched. Cook nailed the kick from the sideline to put the Raiders ahead 22-20, which ultimately proved the difference at full-time.

Talking Points

  • Albert Hopoate was the standout for the Raiders in his effort to earn a recall to first grade. Hopoate was strong, carrying defenders with him and bending the Magpies’ line on every run.
  • Heath Mason was brave at fullback for the Magpies. He was solid at the back, fielding perilous bombs every time the Raiders tested him and providing strong kick returns.

Key Moment

Jordan Martin’s try in the 59th minute proved crucial in the Raiders’ comeback. Both sides had been evenly matched with terrific goal-line defence keeping each other at bay. However, Martin’s try opened the floodgates for Canberra, who rushed over two more quick tries to steal the lead.

What’s Next?

Both clubs have a week turnaround, when the Raiders head to Redfern to play the South Sydney Rabbitohs while the Magpies will search for a win against the Warriors at Leichhardt Oval.


Newtown Jets v Sydney Roosters

Newtown Jets claim sixth-consecutive win

Daneie Geddes

Game Summary

The Newtown Jets sealed their sixth-consecutive win in Round 14 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup, beating the Sydney Roosters 38-4 at Henson Park on Saturday.

Hooker and captain Jayden Berrell was instrumental for Newtown with two assists, while Tom Rodwell bagged two tries.

Berrell took charge in the seventh minute with a neat grubber off the boot, which found Rodwell to open the scoring. Halfback Niwhai Puru successfully converted, giving the Jets a 6-0 lead.

Despite a strong defensive effort from the Roosters to hold Berrell up at the line on one occasion, the Jets maintained pressure and it paid off in the 15th minute when they forced an error from the Roosters.

The Roosters’ errors continued to mount as a knock-on handed the Jets another set inside the 10-metre line. Taking advantage Jordin Leiu offloaded to Berrell, who rolled a kick through for Khaled Rajab to score. The conversion attempt by Puru was unsuccessful, leaving the Jets 10-0 ahead.

The Roosters managed to strike back in the 34th minute, swinging the ball wide to the left for Turoa Williams to score their first try. It marked Williams' third try this season in the NSW Cup, a crucial effort to pull the Roosters back into contention after an error-riddled first half.

The Roosters, trailing 10-4 at halftime, needed to tighten their game, but an error five minutes into the second half proved costly. Samuel Stonestreet capitalised on the mistake, racing down the sideline to increase the Jets' lead. Puru's successful conversion extended the score to 16-4.

The Roosters struggled to mount a comeback. A kick from Sandon Smith was cleaned up by the Jets' fullback Liam Ison, thwarting another effort by the Roosters to gain ground.

The Jets maintained pressure and were rewarded when Tom Rodwell scored his second try after another forced error just 10 metres out from the line. Puru added the extra points with a difficult conversion from the left-hand touchline, widening the margin to 22-4.

The Jets' attack continued through Jackson Ferris, evading defenders and slicing through the line to send Ison over for his sixth try of the season, right under the posts. It added another four points to the home side’s tally.

Kyle Pickering and Chris Vea’ila both went over for Newtown in the dying stages. Puru's reliable boot sealed a dominant 38-4 victory for the Jets.

Jayden Berrell's playmaking proved too much for the Roosters. Despite moments of individual brilliance from the Roosters, including valuable meters gained by Tala Lasau, their error-riddled game ultimately led to their downfall.

The Jets' sixth-consecutive win cements their spot in the top three for another week.

Talking points

  • Jayden Berrell's playmaking proved too much for the Roosters. He was instrumental on the attack with three try assists and hands in others.
  • Despite moments of individual brilliance from the Roosters, including valuable metres gained by Taylor Losalu, their error-riddled game ultimately led to the Roosters’ downfall.
  • A desperation tackle by Jordin Leiu on the Roosters' Sandon Smith placed him on report.
  • Taylor Losalu's strong runs for the Roosters gained valuable meters, but the team couldn't translate it into points on the board.

Key Moment

In the 58th minute Jackson Ferris showed excellent footwork, evading defenders to slice through the line then finding fullback Liam Ison, who grabbed his sixth try of the season under the posts.

What’s Next?

The Jets will host ladder rivals, the North Sydney Bears, at Henson Park in Round 15. The Roosters will look to turn the tide on four consecutive losses when they take on Parramatta Eels at CommBank Stadium.


Penrith Panthers v North Sydney Bears

Bears solidify top two position as Panthers slide continues 

Stewart Moses

Game Summary

The North Sydney Bears have continued to solidify second position on the Knock-On Effect NSW Cup ladder at a sunny BlueBet Stadium this afternoon, having continued Penrith’s recent fall from grace with a gritty 22-16 victory.

North Sydney opened their account early in the first half when a long shift back out to the left inside Penrith’s 20 resulted in a try to Kieran Heyman, converted by the five-eighth himself to give the Bears a terrific 6-0 start after just 11 minutes of play.

The Bears soon doubled their advantage after 18 minutes, following a Tyrone Peachey error inside his own half, which enabled the visitors to capitalise a few plays later when centre Israel Ogden off a quick play the ball, scored from close range.

The Bears could have easily headed into the change rooms with a further two points in the bank, but Heyman uncharacteristically missed the relatively simple penalty goal attempt, but the visitors deserved their 12-0 lead at the main break.

Penrith came out firing early in the second half and were rewarded with their first points of the afternoon when quick hands at the try line resulted in a four-pointer to back rower Mavrik Geyer

Halfback Zac Lamont’s simple conversion from in front of the posts, the Panthers were well and truly back in the game trailing by six after just three minutes of play.

However, another Panthers error this time from interchange forward Harrison Hassett, proved pivotal with the Bears laying a fantastic team try for Allan Fitzgibbon. The winger finishing off a tremendous play from the scrum to go 50m to score in the northeast corner and with Heyman landing the tough conversion from the eastern sideline, the Bears re-established their 12-point advantage.

The Bears gained their biggest lead of the match when a covering tackle by Isaiah Iongi on fullback Jake Toby was deemed too high, allowing Heyman to land his fourth goal of the afternoon, giving North Sydney a crucial 20-6.

Despite losing prop forward Preston Riki (also on report) for ten minutes in the 57th minute, the Panthers hit back in the 60th minute with a try to Peachey and with Lamont’s conversion, the home side once again were in striking distance, trailing 20-12.

Extended time in the Bears’ 20 proved telling as the Panthers showed quick hands to put centre David Fale over in the southwest corner to reduce the gap to just four points with nine minutes remaining.

But a second penalty goal to Heyman in the dying minutes snuffed out any late chance of the Panthers completing a comeback, to secure a 22-16 victory, their first ever Cup win at BlueBet Stadium against Penrith. 

Key Points:

  • The Bears (2nd) came into this game having won their last three games, while the Panthers (4th) were looking to halt a four-game losing streak.
  • The 20-16 win by the Bears was their first at BlueBet Stadium in their tenth attempt and just their 3rd win from 21 games played against the Panthers.
  • Penrith prop forward, Preston Riki and Bears winger Allan Fitzgibbon were both placed on report for separate incidents during the second half.
  • Norths winger Tuilupotu Katoa was ruled out of the game after failing his HIA midway through the first half.

Play of the Game 

With Penrith threatening an early second half comeback, former Panthers winger Allan Fitzgibbon finished off a tremendous set play from the scrum on halfway with a scintillating try that ultimately proved pivotal in the Bears’ 22-16 win.

What's Next 

Next up for the North Sydney Bears is a matchup with traditional foes, the Newtown Jets next Saturday at Henson Park, while the next day, the Panthers make the long trek to MacDonald Jones Stadium to take on the Newcastle Knight


Newcastle Knights v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 

Humphreys shines in NSW Cup win over Knights

Wayne Cousins 

Game Summary 

A 20 point haul from five-eighth Jamie Humphreys has seen the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles record a convincing 36-16 win over the Newcastle Knights in the NSW Cup.

Humphreys crossed for two tries and kicked six goals in the big round 14 win at the Newcastle Permanent Centre of Excellence on Sunday.

The match saw exciting young SG Ball half Tylor Bunting make his NSW Cup debut in a fine reward after the skillful half spent the pre-season training with the NRL squad.

Four first half tries to the Sea Eagles saw them take a 24-6 lead into the break with the Knights scoring their lone try right on half-time.

Humphreys opened the scoring in the fifth minute after he charged onto a pass from hooker Jake Simpkin to crash over for his own converted try for a 6-0 lead.

Five minutes later, Simpkin showed his NRL experience when he stepped and weaved his way from dummy half to score for a 12-0 lead after 11 minutes.

Prop Aitasi James then crashed over under the posts off a Simpkin pass for an 18-0 lead after as many minutes.

Ten minutes later, full-back Clayton Faulalo crossed for a 24-0 lead after seeing the ball fall into his arms from a fumble off a Humphreys crossfield kick.

The Knights then scored a length of the field try inside the final minute of the first half through winger Laitia Moceidreke after he started the play inside their own in-goal before backing up two team-mates to score to make it 24-6 at the break.

A one-handed offload in traffic by former Manly player Fletcher Myers saw full-back Hayden Sutton cross for the first of his two tries to leave the Knights trailing 24-10 four minutes after the break.

The game continued to flow for the next 13 minutes before Sutton crossed for his second after swooping on a grubber kick to make it 24-16.

The Sea Eagles extended their lead to 30-16 in the 69th minute when winger Jaxson Paulo spectacularly pulled in a Humphreys kick with one hand to plant the ball down.

Humphreys then finished off the tryscoring when he timed his run to perfection to leap high to beat the full-back to score off a Bunting kick for the 36-16 win.

The win sees Blacktown Workers move into eight spot. They now play the sixth placed St George-Illawarra Dragons at HE Laybutt Field, Blacktown, on Sunday, June 16, at 3pm.


Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v South Sydney Rabbitohs 

Perham, Hutchison excel in 42-point savage of South Sydney.

Mitchell Roese 

Game Summary 

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have gained a crucial two points in their 46-4 ambush of the South Sydney Rabbitohs on Monday afternoon at Accor Stadium.

Led by their stars Hayze Perham and Drew Hutchison, the Bulldogs escaped to a healthy 34-0 lead at the half, before a tightly contested second stanza saw only three tries scored to conclude round 14 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

A positive kick return put the Bulldogs deep into Rabbitohs territory. Winger Jonathon Sua went close to scoring on the left edge before a shift to the right saw centre Jordan Samrani slice over for the opener. Eli Clark curved his conversion over for a 6-0 lead in the 3rd minute.

Samrani’s edge partner Jeral Skelton got in on the action five minutes later with a spectacular corner finish, courtesy of a lobbing cut-out ball from halfback Joseph O’Neill. Clark again converted from the sideline, using the left upright for a 12-0 advantage.

Failure to wrap up the ball put the Rabbitohs three tries down in the opening 20 minutes, as consecutive offloads from the Bulldogs broke Hayze Perham into open space, where he found Poasa Faamausili to score next to the posts.

Samrani burst through some subpar Rabbitohs defence and showed great speed and strength on his way to a 60-metre gallop to the line, before Faamausili joined his centre with a double in the 29th minute. Clark missed his attempt from the sideline, though made no mistake closer to the uprights. (28-0)

A short side raid advanced Canterbury-Bankstown’s lead in the 35th minute as Drew Hutchison’s face-ball hitting Sua in stride down the sideline, where the winger found his half in support to hand his side a dominant 34-0 lead at the half.

After withstanding goal line pressure, Mick Potter’s men were quick to turn defence into points. A shifty outside to inside play through the ruck put Perham away, where the fullback threw to Clark for his first and a 40-0 lead.

Following consecutive set restarts, the Bulldogs line defence finally after the markers were caught napping and Brandon Mansfield-Webster strolled over in the right corner. Dion Teaupa was unsuccessful with sideline conversion attempt.

Right on the stroke of full time, Reece Hoffman crashed over and Clark again converted for a convincing 46-4 victory.

Talking Points:

  • Bulldogs’ fullback Hayze Perham and halfback Drew Hutchison were instrumental in this afternoon’s victory. The fullback had three try assists, three-line breaks, and over 200 run metres recorded, while the halfback scored try, had a hand in another, and three line break assists.
  • Today’s victory is the Bulldogs second-largest victory of the season, snaps their three-game losing streak, and moves them into the top four midway through the season.

Key Moment:

Mick Potter’s side’s commitment to their defence and energy around one another was certainly the difference as they maintained their dominance from the 3rd minute onward on rout to an eight tries to one demolition of Souths.

What’s Next?

Canterbury Bankstown takes a much-needed win into the bye week, while South Sydney have the difficult task of hosting competition leaders Canberra Raiders at Redfern Oval on Saturday afternoon.


Acknowledgement of Country

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners