You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Recap | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - Round 10

The undefeated Penrith Panthers host second-placed Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at 3.45pm Friday to kick off Round 10 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - streamed live on NSWRL TV.

Saturday's match sees St George Illawarra Dragons up against South Sydney Rabbitohs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, which gets underway at 12.40pm and is live on Fox League.

The round concludes with four games on Sunday including NSWRL TV coverage of Western Suburbs Magpies v Newcastle Knights at 2pm, and Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles v Newtown Jets at 3pm.

Dragons v Rabbitohs

Panthers v Bulldogs

Magpies v Knights 

Sea Eagles v Jets 

Bears v Eels 

Penrith Panthers v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Bulldogs overcome early sin-bin crisis, condemn league leaders Penrith to season-first loss

Stewart Moses 

Game Summary 

It’s taken ten rounds but the unbeaten reign of league leaders, Penrith has come to an abrupt end at the hands of a brave and committed Bulldogs outfit that have won six in a row and lie just one point behind the Panthers after their 30-12 win at BlueBet Stadium this afternoon.

In a Bulldogs lineup featuring the likes of Hayze Perham, Blake Wilson, Toby Sexton, Liam Knight, Jake Turpin, Poasa Faamausili and interchange forward Zane Tetevano, it was back-rower Kitione Kautoga, who was both the villain and star for the visitors.

Having been put on report and sent to the sin-bin for ten minutes for a late tackle on Panthers half Brad Schneider in just the second minute of play, soon followed by his team mate Toby Sexton for a professional foul in the 4th minute of play, the Bulldogs backrower returned to put his side ahead 6-0 after 15 minutes with a barnstorming charge to score next to the posts from close range.

Kautoga had a double ten minutes following a similar bullocking charge at the line from close range to put the visitors up by 12 with Sexton again converting successfully.

A sweeping backline move following a late penalty call from the referee, resulting in a simple try to winger Jeral Skelton in the south-east corner and the Panthers were left shell-shocked trailing 18-0 inside the opening 30 minutes.

The Panthers finally opened their account with the last play of the opening half. Having had several repeat sets inside the Bulldogs 20, the visitors’ defence finally cracked when quick hands left winger Jesse McLean to score in the northwest corner.

Trent Toelau’s successful sideline conversion, the home side trailed 18-6 at the break.

The Panthers’ comeback looked well and truly on when a Toelau show and go fooled the Bulldogs’ defence and the half, deputising for Schneider who succumbed to injury following the Kautoga incident earlier in the game, scored underneath the posts from 10m out to put the home side within a converted try.

But despite ex-Panther Zane Tetevano dropping the ball cold with a try seemingly in the bag following some quick work from dummy half Romano Cook, the Bulldogs soon made amends with a try midway through the second half.

Quick hands inside the Panthers 20 ended with centre Hayze Perham laying on a superb flick pass to put his winger, Blake Wilson over in the north-east corner to extend the Bulldogs lead back out to 24-12, with Sexton again successful with his sideline conversion.

Once again the Panthers’ left edge defence was found wanting when some brilliant hands inside the Panthers half put Wilson away again down the eastern touchline, with the winger providing this time, placing a well-weighted kick in the in-goal for Sexton to score and complete an impressive 30-12 win for the Bulldogs.

The win cements their spot in second place and puts them within just the point of the defeated competition leaders.

Talking Points

- Despite the loss of Paul Alamoti (NRL) and Jordan Grant (injury), the Panthers arguably came into this game looking stronger with the inclusion of Tyrone Peachey, Brad Schneider and Matt Eisenhuth.

- The Bulldogs came into this game having only won 2 of last 10 games played at BlueBet Stadium and only 6 wins from 20 games played against the Panthers.

- Bulldogs back-rower Kitione Kautoga, faces a nervous wait having been replaced on report in addition to spending ten minutes in the sin-bin for his late and dangerous tackle on Brad Schneider in the 2nd minute of play. The Panthers half eventually succumbed to the injury sustained from the incident having come from the field in the 15th minute of play.

- The win represents the Bulldogs’ sixth win in a row having not been beaten since their Round 3 34-10 loss, ironically at the hands of the Panthers.

- The loss for Penrith represents their first in nine games played in season 2024.

Key Moment

It’s not often a game-defining moment happens within the opening fifteen minutes of the game, but the Bulldogs made a real statement with their commitment in defence early on when having to play eight minutes of the game with just eleven men following the sinbinning of both Kautoga and Sexton.

The opening try to Kautoga, who had only returned to the field just seconds before Sexton returned at the end of that eight minute, was the start of a 18 point run for the visitors and proved to be the difference as both sides traded two tries a piece thereafter.

What's Next?

Next week represents the Cup’s Magic Weekend round at North Sydney Oval as the Bulldogs look for seven wins in a row when they take on the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles on Sunday while the previous day, the Panthers will be looking to atone for tonight’s surprise loss when they take on the New Zealand Warriors, the only other side the league leaders have failed to defeat so far in season 2024.

St George Illawarra Dragons v South Sydney Rabbitohs 

Rabbitohs outdone by Dragons at rain-affected Kogarah

Bethany Conlon

Game Summary 

The South Sydney Rabbitohs put up a fight in the wet weather, but were outdone 26-6 by an experienced St George Illawarra Dragons side on Saturday in Round 10. 

The Rabbitohs were given a piggyback up field when the Dragons were penalised for offside downtown. Hooker Ryan Gray took advantage burrowing over the line five minutes in. Five-eighth Jarrett Subloo converted for a 6-0 lead. 

After defending consecutive sets on the line, Dragons five-eighth Jesse Marschke cut through a sliding South Sydney defence to get the Dragons on the board in the 19th minute. His kick dragged to the left, keeping the deficit 6-4.

Dragons had back-to-back tries in the 24th minute when Marschke lofted a pass to winger Sione Finau to score. Marschke slotted the conversion for a 10-6 lead. 

The Dragons picked up where they left off after a contentious penalty against the Rabbitohs, as interchange player Haele Finau dummied and dove over two minutes into the second half. Marschke increased the lead to 16-6. 

Sensing fatigue in the opposition, Dragons winger Savelio Tamale accelerated around Souths' left edge, setting up the try for centre Benjamin Johnson in the 51st minute. Marschke’s kicked wobbled over the crossbar for a 22-6 score-line. 

Defending their line the previous set, the Dragons marched upfield before sending a cut-out pass to Tamale score in the 58th minute. Marschke missed the conversion, keeping the final score 26-6. 

Talking Points 

- Rabbitohs second-rower Kaylen Miller left the field in the 48thminute, with what seemed to be a shoulder injury after an innocuous attempt at tackle. 

- Dragons second-rower Dan Russell dislocated his thumb but returned to play. 

- Rabbitohs fullback CJ Mundine was put on report in the 51st minute for a shoulder charge on Dragons winger Savelio Tamale. 

- Dragons lock Michael Molo was placed on report for a crusher tackle in the 56th minute. 

- Tamale’s try in the 58th minute made it five tries in his past four games, making his case to take Lomax’s wing spot in 2025. 

Key Moment 

After a contentious penalty went their way, the Dragons picked up where they left off, when interchange player Haele Finau dummied and dove over just the two minutes into the second half. It inspired the Red V to carry on with it for remainder of the match. 

What’s Next?

Both teams head to North Sydney Oval for The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup Magic Round, where the Dragons take on third-placed Canberra Raiders, and the Rabbitohs face off against North Sydney Bears for a grand final rematch.

Warriors v Sydney Roosters


Western Suburbs Magpies v Newcastle Knights

Magpies keep Knights at bay for second win of the season

Alex Hrissis

Game Summary

Western Suburbs Magpies grabbed their second win of the season with a 24-10 defeat of the Newcastle Knights at Lidcombe Oval on Sunday.

Western Suburbs struck first against the Knights after a 15-minute stalemate, when halfback Noah Ryan produced a strong kick into the corner and Solomon Alaimalo leapt into action.

The speedy winger collected the ball mid-air and grounded it in the corner. Winger Alexander Lobb converted (6-0).

The Magpies made it back-to-back tries following some strong field advancement courtesy of Ryan’s positional kicking.

James Valevatu found NRL forward Sione Fainu with a short ball and the front rower crashed over the line (12-0).

Newcastle bounced back late in the first half following some tidy passing down the left edge, which eventually found winger Laitia Moceidreke who dived over in the corner to score the try.

Magpies added a third try right on the stroke of halftime to extend their lead.

Some crisp passing down the left edge found Jordan Miller, who skipped past two Knights played to score the first try and give the Magpies an 18-4 lead at the break.

Western Suburbs picked up where they left off in the first half after Newcastle failed to maintain possession from a Noah Ryan kick.

Curtis Wilson seized the opportunity by kicking the ball forward and pouncing on it over the line  (22-4).

The home side extended their lead after Newcastle was penalised for a late hit on Ryan.

The Magpies opted for the two and Lobb obliged kicking it through the posts cleanly (24-4).

The Knights scored a late consolation try as Jed Cartwright charged through the middle and outmuscled the Magpies’ defence to crash over and score himself (24-10).

Talking Points

- The Magpies moved off the bottom of the ladder, briefly, with the Knights victory. But two hours later and the Eels beat the Bears at home to keep Western Suburbs in the cellar.

- Fullback Curtis Wilson earned himself a promotion from the Leagues Clubs Australia Ron Massey Cup this week and he repaid the faith in style by running hard, defending well, and scoring a try.

Key Moment

The Magpies held a tidy 12-4 lead already as halftime loomed. However they didn't take their foot off the pedal and managed to crash over and score another through Jordan Miller in the 37th minute. The Knights failed to recover from the setback and couldn’t get back into the game after the break.

What’s Next

Both sides will be heading to Magic Round at North Sydney Oval next weekend, where the Magpies will play Eels and the Knights will face off against the Jets.

Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles v Newtown Jets

Dykes hat-trick inspires Jets comeback

Anthony Eltarraf

Game Summary

Two tries in the final five minutes for the Newtown Jets secured a 22-16 comeback victory over the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at HE Laybutt Field on Sunday.

While the first half had only one try scored – Sea Eagles leading 4-0 at the break - both teams showcased some strong and exciting football in both attack and defence throughout.

The first points came in the 19th minute through a simple yet well-executed right edge shift, which ended up in the hands of Sea Eagles winger Watson Heleta to touch down. An unsuccessful conversion attempt meant the scoreline stayed low after 40 minutes of play.

It only took five minutes for a try to be scored in the second half with the Jets taking the lead through a grubber from Niwhai Puru for his fullback Kade Dykes, who just managed to plant the ball down on the tryline.

The final 20 minutes saw the game open up with both sides looking more than likely to score points.

The Sea Eagles did just that through a pinpoint cut-out pass from Brandon Wakeham for Clayton Faulalo to score.

Dykes then scored his second to give his side a two-point lead, scooping the ball up from dummy half following a line break and scoring in the right corner.

The game looked to be sealed, when the Sea Eagles regained the lead through a barging Caleb Navale who ran 40m to set up his fullback Lehi Hopoate. A successful conversion from Wakeham saw the Sea Eagles lead 16-12 with seven minutes remaining.

The Jets refused to back down and it paid off, when Jackson Ferris stepped around his defender before passing to Samuel Stonestreet to plant the ball down in the corner.

Mawene Hiroti’s first miss at goal for the afternoon kept the scores level at 16-apiece.

With just under 90 seconds to go, Blake Hosking broke straight through the heart of the Sea Eagles’ defence before offloading to Dykes who secured his hattrick and the match.

Talking Points

- Both teams looked near impossible to crack for much of the game, both putting on defensive clinics despite the constant pressure. Sea Eagles second rower Ben Condon came up with a number of crucial try-savers throughout the game.

- Fatigue clearly set in for both sides in the final quarter, with more gaps opening up and missed tackles becoming more prominent.

- Kade Dykes (pictured above: Photo Bryden Sharp) was everywhere for the Jets, scoring a brilliant hat-trick to inspire his side’s comeback victory.

Key Moment

It took 45 minutes for the Jets to post points but it was Dykes who did it. His third and final try was clearly the most crucial play of the game, securing the Jets’ victory in the final minute.

What’s Next

The Sea Eagles face the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs next week, immediately following the Jets game against the Newcastle Knights with both matches at North Sydney Oval for Magic Round.

North Sydney Bears v Parramatta Eels

North Sydney Bears let lead slip at home to lose to Eels  

Ella Mullins

Game Summary

A quick and early lead looked promising for hosts the North Sydney Bears, but a second half rejuvenation from the Parramatta Eels saw the visitors take a deserved 31-24 win at North Sydney Oval.

The Bears turned up the heat in the opening five minutes after a knock-on from Dan Keir lead to a scrum. In their second attacking set, Allan Fitzgibbon was denied by Eels defence after attempting a chip and chase down the right channel.

The pressure from the Bears built good momentum and set up halfback Ben Stevanovic for the opening try.

A ruck infringement from the Eels saw six again for North Sydney. Stevanovic busted through the first tackle just metres from the try line and locked away the first four-pointer under the posts. It gave Kieran Hayman an easy conversion.

A knock-on in their attacking half disrupted Parramatta’s first promising attack.

However, the Bears relished the opportunity with Fitzgibbon and fullback Jake Toby dancing around the Eels front row, to escape the herd of blue-and-gold jerseys.

Toby was under pressure when Eels winger Isaac Lumelume started to close in. But the fullback’s flick pass found the hands of Fitzgibbon who was quick off the mark.

Toby, now in support, was able to post the Bears second try deep in the right corner with a mid-air manoeuvre. The conversion was successful (12-0).

The visitors were quick to hit back after a defensive error gave them a much-needed opportunity.

An unmarked Ethyn Martin launched himself through a gap to reach over the try line. The conversion from skipper Daejarn Asi was successful and the Eels were on their way (12-6).

Then disallowed tries were suffered by both sides as the arm wrestle began.

A valiant attacking effort from Bears Josh Bergamin saw the centre charge his way through, carrying Parramatta defenders with him over the line. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful, but they held a 10-point lead.

Just shy of halftime, Lumelume had a big run down the left wing nailing the try with an aerial dive. Goalkicker and skipper Asi cemented back-to-back conversions to draw closer at 16-12, which remained the halftime score.

The Eels wasted no time in the second half, tying things up 16-16.

The captain under pressure was able to extend his right arm over the try line, close enough to the post that he was able to easily convert his own try.

For the first time in the game, the Eels held the lead (18-16) and were on a roll.

Despite the tenacious defence from the Bears, centre Jake Tago slipped through the cracks, scoring another try for the Eels. Asi once again followed through with the conversion.

Determined to retaliate, North Sydney opted for a hard and fast charge. Second rower Riley Meyne dodged incoming defenders, scoring his first try for the match.

Shortly after, carnage ensued when Asi was given a warning and conceded a penalty for a high tackle. Hayman took the two and the scores were locked up once again (24-24). 

With 12 minutes left, the Eels dominated in nearly every department.

Martin was set up for a double, refusing the Bears any traction to get back into the game. An easy conversion added another two points to Asi’s individual score sheet.

To add insult Asi scored a 77th -minute field goal for a personal tally of 15 points.

In spite of their determined efforts over those final minutes, the Bears went down fighting 31-24.

Talking Points

- The partnership between Allan Fitzgibbon and Jake Toby was outstanding. The Bears winger and fullback were able to capitalise on the Eels weaker moments, giving their side a leg up. Toby was clinical for his side with two try-saving tackles and then a try of his own.

- Parramatta’s comeback in the second half kept the hosts on their toes, with efforts from Asi and Lumelume setting the tone for the last 45 minutes of play. 

Key Moment

Winger Ethyn Martin's double - scoring his side’s first and last tries - proved crucial for the Eels at those points in time in both halves.

What’s Next

The Bears will host all of next weekend’s Round 11 action in The Knock-On-Effect NSW Cup. The Eels go head-to-head with the Western Suburbs Magpies, while the Bears take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs in a 2023 Grand Final rematch.

Acknowledgement of Country

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners