You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Second half Jets comeback falls short

A gutsy second half fightback has fallen just short for the Newtown Jets, with the Parramatta Eels holding on for a 22-20 win in the round three Knock-On Effect NSW Cup match. 

Played at Bankwest Stadium, the Jets trailed 22-0 early in the second half, before working their way back into the contest, only to see Braydon Trindall, one of the players instrumental in the Jets comeback, hook his conversion to tie up the match wide with just four minutes left on the clock.

It was all the Eels early, the home team dominating field position and possession with the pressure finally telling, centre Haze Dunster crossing for the first try of the match and when Jordan Rankin scored it was 6-0.

Parramatta extended their lead when youngster Will Penisini crossed, the try coming after Jets fullback Luke Metcalf had made a try-saver in the lead up.

While the second attempt at conversion was wide, it was 10-0 Eels at the break, a scoreline which probably flattered the Newtown side. 

The Eels continued their dominance in the opening minutes of the second half, converted tries in the third and sixth minutes of the half opening up a 22-0 advantage. 

But from there the tide turned, the momentum shifted and the Jets mounted a spirited comeback, started by a Bronson Garlick try in the 57th minute of the match. 

The Trindall conversion made it 22-6 and only three minutes later Newtown were in again, this time it was hard working backorder Brock Gray who crashed over wide out and despite the kick at goal sailing wide, the Jets had some encouragement at 22-10 with still a quarter of the contest remaining. 

Trindall was next to score, dashing 40 metres after running onto a clever Garlick off-load, the half back adding the extras from adjacent to the posts and it was game on with 10 to go and only six points separating the two teams. 

The Newtown comeback however wasn't quite finished, Garlick scoring a second, this time the number 12 was the recipient of a Trindall pass and the Jets and Sharks half had a kick from the western sideline to level the scores.

Unfortunately the kick was pulled the left, with the Eels navigating the final four minutes to claim the win and the two competition points. 

While the final result was disappointing, the Jets would have been encouraged by the second half fightback, with Trindall, Garlick and Gray amongst their best performers on the night. 

The Jets now move on to a round four match up with the Raiders in Canberra next Saturday. 

Bronson Garlick 2, Brock Gray, Braydon Trindall tries, Trindall 2 goals 
lost to