You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
An update from our CEO

At last some exciting news as we anticipate the possible return of Rugby League and to see our beloved Sharks take to the field again.

As has been reported, there is a proposed restart to the competition on May 28, with a team meeting scheduled for next Monday, followed by the return to training on Tuesday.

While a constantly changing and evolving situation, I can say our planning and preparation has been extensive and is now complete. Should the players be back on deck next week we are compliant with the information and protocols in place today.

We are comfortable to restart again when safe and appropriate to do so and have the belief that we can certainly challenge for the finals in whatever form the competition takes.

In conversations with our coach John Morris, he is pleased with the commitment shown by his NRL squad while in isolation and alongside his performance staff has been closely monitoring their progress, albeit from a distance.

We have a hard-working and gritty group here at the Sharks and the coach is aware the team which shows the greatest resilience and best gets on with the job in these exceptional circumstances will ultimately prove successful.

John is satisfied with the measures that have been in place to help the boys while in isolation and is confident he has the right group of men in his squad to deal with the challenging situation.

If the competition does kick off at the end of the month, if there is a positive it is the fact we will have almost all hands-on deck in terms of our squad being close to full fitness. We were without key players such as Bronson Xerri, Josh Dugan and Matt Moylan for our opening two rounds, games played against quality opposition and in matches we could have, and probably should have, come away with wins.

With their availability upon resumption and with lessons learned from the opening two games, we eagerly await the restart. 

However, while the return of our NRL squad will be greatly welcomed, keeping our players and staff safe will continue to be top of mind.

We have adhered to all COVID -19 safety protocols and guidelines as outlined by both government and the NRL, having no players in and around the facility without prior notice or permission, with skeleton staff ensuring the business continued to operate and was in a position to resume normal operations once given approval.  

The Sharks applied for and were approved for the JobKeeper program, with staff individually briefed and given the opportunity to take advantage of the government subsidy.  

Away from the Football operations, the [email protected] Golf amalgamation continues, but due to the current situation facing all types of business and government agencies, final approvals have yet to be completed.

I can however relay that the amalgamation of Kareela Golf Club is very much on track and we are expecting to officially takeover in June.

Plans are currently in place for some minor refurbishments once final approvals are granted and we hope to have these works completed, in looking to have Sharks at Kareela ready for members to enjoy once registered clubs and pubs have been given the green light to resume business.

Works are also continuing on the Woolooware Bay development and the new Sharks League Club and despite a slight delay, we are still working towards a late 2021 or early 2022 opening.

The final plans for the new Leagues Club are near to completion and all members should be excited about what the end product will look like and the facilities it will provide.

I’d like to use this CEO update to also take this opportunity to thank our corporate partners and our passionate members and fans for your continued support during these uncertain times.

Should the season get underway, whether crowds will be present is still very much unknown, however we will monitor the progress of the discussions and ultimately the decisions made and update all our members and fans whenever we have information to share.

We understand our obligation to our corporate partners and members and have your interests at heart when we are considering what the next steps look like.

The commercial and membership teams will be in contact in due course and we will keep you informed through our digital channels with whatever options are available. As valued supporters our aim is to look after you as best we can in the circumstances.

To our major partners in Ace Gutters Durakote Roofing, TFH, Dynasty, PointsBet, Woolooware Bay, VB and Stewart Toyota, in this new world of offering exposure in innovative ways our Digital team has worked diligently to ensure we are maximising every opportunity available to showcase your business or products.

We appreciate your continued support and hope in the near future we will again be able to deliver on our partnership obligations in traditional ways.

While the support of our major sponsors has been overwhelming, we also thank our hospitality partners for their understanding through these challenging times.

All have been consistent with their support, however in highlighting the commitment shown, I will share an email sent by one of our long term and valued hospitality partners in response to a recent Club communication.

Stephen Skullion, from hospitality partner Alltech Outsourced Solutions replied to our communication with; “Thanks for the update. Please pass my thoughts onto the staff affected. As discussed earlier in the week with John, whatever monies we have paid you, please keep. There is no need to reimburse/ credit me.”

And while maybe not expressed via a written word, numerous others have expressed similar sentiments which has been very heartening for all of us here at the Club.

Thanks for your patience and understanding in what are unprecedented times. We hope to have rugby league and the NRL competition back up and running very soon and look forward to again having you, our most valued supporters, right behind us when that first game kicks off.