You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Jets crush Mounties in elimination final

The Newtown Jets have sounded a warning shot to the remaining teams in the Canterbury Cup competition with a dominating 44-20 victory over Mounties in their elimination finals clash. 

The Jets fell behind early in the first half but once they kicked into gear there was no stopping them, the Newtown side building on their strong late season form, crossing for eight tries in the win in what was an impressive attacking performance. 

Newtown were first on the board running into the strong south-westerly wind when Tyrone Phillips scored in just the fourth minute, however momentum quickly shifted in favour of their opponents. 

In the space of five minutes Mounties were able to score three tries, two by left winger Harley Smith-Shields, the other on the right by Matt Timoko and with two Sam Williams conversions the Jets were behind 16-4. 

Battling back, Sione Katoa touched down in spectacular fashion in the south-western corner after a clever exchange of passing and when Brayden Trindall was unable to convert, kicking into the southerly it was 16-8 to Mounties. 

Gaining a better share of possession the Jets pushed back into an attacking zone and again they would manage to cross the line, this time it was Toby Rudolf running onto a well-timed Scott Sorensen pass, the big front rower showing outstanding footwork and determination to get the ball down over the line. 

On this occasion Trindall was able to add the extras in making the score 16-14 to Mounties but with the Jets set to turn around and run with the breeze at their backs they would have been confident of coming home strongly in the second 40. 

However if the Jets thought the wind was going to do the job for them, they were mistaken, an error from the kick off gifting Mounties attacking field position and only three tackles later Smith-Shields would cross for his third try following a smart Rueben Rennie off load. 

The kick from touch would prove too challenging for Williams but the Jets now trailed by six with the score 20-14 to Mounties. 

That early Mounties try might have been the wake up the Jets needed as they burst into action, a Trindall line break setting up Will Kennedy and with the simple conversion, the scores were level and Newtown certainly had the wind both at their backs and in their sails. 

In quick succession they would cross the line twice, Trindall scoring with a show and go, then Jackson Ferris racing away on a 50-metre solo effort and with successful conversions to was 32-20 and the Jets were on their way. 

A Trindall penalty goal with 20 minutes of the match remaining pushed the margin out to 14, before a second Ferris touchdown and a try to youngster Teig Wilton completed the scoring, sending the Jets into week two of the Canterbury Cup finals full of confidence. 

The statistics coming from the game almost told rate story, with Newtown delivering perhaps their best performance of the 2019 season in completing at 91 per cent in what was a quality effort in such a crucial game. 

The two qualifying finals between the four top placed teams are scheduled for today (Sunday), where the Jets next opponents will be determined. The venue will be Leichhardt Oval. 

Sharks media will communicate match information when it becomes available. 


Jackson Ferris 2, Bradyon Trindall, Teig Wilton, Toby Rudolf, Sione Katoa, Tyrone Phillips tries, Tridnall 7 goals
Harley Smith-Shields 3, Matt Timoko tries, Sam Williams 2 goals

Acknowledgement of Country

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.