You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

In a disappointing end to their season, the NYC Sharks have been eliminated from the finals race by the Manly Sea Eagles.

The Sharks, minor premiers at the end of the home and away season, were unable to match Manly on the night, going down by 42-22 in their semi final match played at ANZ Stadium. 

The Sea Eagles jumped out to a handy first half lead and as hard as they tried the Sharks couldn't match their rivals enthusiasm on the night.

The match began well enough for the Sharks, Jesse Ramien showing speed and strength to slice through and score in the south-western corner of ANZ Stadium.

Kyle Flanagan converted from the touchline and it was 6-0 Sharks after 2 minutes.

The next period of the match turned the way of the Sea Eagles, five eighth Tom Wright crossing after a one-on-one steal, then getting a second after some ordinary defence close to the line.

Both tries were converted, with Manly up 12-6 15 minutes into the contest.

The Sea Eagles increased their lead when prop Jaiden Tarrant carried three Sharks defenders over the line and the Sharks were in some early trouble at 18-6 behind midway through the first half.

The Sharks managed to edge closer when Billy Magoulias was on the spot to score off a Blayke Brailey grubber and when Flanagan converted it was 18-12, however another Manly try, this one to fullback Jade Anderson and when Tevita Funa added the extras the Sea Eagles would take a 24-12 lead to the break.

The second half began with the Sharks showing plenty of enthusiasm but they couldn't crack the Manly line, with their opponents adding to their advantage with a spectacular try in the corner.

A third to Wright pushed the lead out to 32-12 and while their was still plenty of time on the clock the Sharks had a mountain to climb of they hoped to progress to a Grand Final qualifier.

Their task became even more difficult when Manly scored a seventh try and when converted it was 38-12, before the NYC's leading try scorer Sione Katoa found some space to touchdown wide out.

Flanagan was wide with his kick to make it 38-16, then Luke Metcalf dashed 50-metres before burning the fullback in an individual effort that brought the Sharks six point closer but it was too little too late.

Manly then would seal the deal, strolling over after a short drop out that went wrong, with the Sea Eagles moving on to a clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons next weekend. 

Jesse Ramien, Billy Magoulias, Sione Katoa, Luke Metcalf tries, Kyle Flanagan 3 goals
Lost to

Acknowledgement of Country

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners