You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
NRL Round 20 Cronulla Sharks v South Sydney Rabbitohs at Southern Cross Group Stadium, Pictures: Gregg Porteous

The visitors had all of the running early in the match, scoring points at will in the early stages of the match.

With the Sharks unable to really apply any pressure on the Rabbitohs, Souths saw an advantage and made the most of their opportunity as fullback Beau Cordtz crossed over in the 7th minute.

The conversion attempt was unsuccessful and the score remained 4-0.

Souths continued to pressure the Sharks line and would convert their good field position into points on the scoreboard when Sam Johnstone crashed over from close range to extend his side’s lead to 8-0.

The conversion was successful and Rabbitohs were ahead after 17 minutes.

The point scoring continued from the visitors as Jaelen Reweti finished off a sweeping backline move from a cut out pass to cross over in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful and the score remain 14-0.

With time ticking on the clock, the Sharks needed to rally and rally they did.

Kyle Flanagan, arguably one of the in-form players of the competition, took the ball to the line at the southern end before laying on an old-fashioned “show and go” to cross the try line and get his side back into the match. Flanagan converted his own try and the score was 14-6 after 27 minutes. The scores would remain the same at the break.

When both sides returned from the sheds, it was all the Sharks.

Sione Katoa would be the first of the Sharks players to cross over in the second half after he finished off a nice pass over the defensive line from Besse Aufaga-Toomaga. Flanagan was unable to convert the try and score was 14-10.

From here, the Sharks would pile on the pressure forcing the Rabbitohs to defend their line at all costs.

Bench player Josh Carr then put on a show as he scored his first of two tries as he crashed over from a Kyle Flanagan short ball close to the line to extend the lead to 18-10. Flanagan converted the try and score would be 16-14 to the Sharks after 55 minutes.

Carr crossed over for his second three minutes later after he again followed up a Kyle Flanagan break through the middle, who drew in the fullback before putting on a soft pass for Carr on the inside.

Flanagan converted the regulation kick and the score went to 22-14.

The points continued to come for the Sharks when edge-backrower Britton Nikora broke through the line on the Rabbitohs left side to put the Sharks further ahead and take the score to 26-14 to the Sharks.

Flanagan added the extras and the score was 28-14 after 65 minutes.

After laying on the moves for his teammates, Kyle Flanagan took the responsibility upon himself to score a try for his team and go over under the posts. He converted his own try and the score was 34-14.

There would be one final try for the evening when Sione Katoa found his way over the line to score his second try of the evening after some quality lead-up play from Aufaga-Toomaga.

Flanagan converted the try from the sideline and the score would be 40-14.

The score would remain this at the full-time siren and the young Sharks would continue their victorious run.

Acknowledgement of Country

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners